IMPROV INSTRUCTOR & COACH TRAINING
In an effort to train the next generation of Comedy Spot improv instructors and coaches, we created this program to ensure all coaches and instructors are using best practices, have studied curriculum and policies, and are trained to coach performers and teach students.
This free program will train Helix coaches, Taste Test instructors, and core curriculum instructors (Improv 101-301).
Attendance at all four sessions is required for inclusion in the training program.
All dates are held on Mondays from 7pm to 9pm, at the Comedy Spot theater.
• May 15 – Warmups, Exercises, and Improv Games, Part One
• May 22 – Scene Feedback, Part One
• June 12 – Warmups, Exercises, and Improv Games, Part Two
• June 19 – Scene Feedback, Part Two
Location: Sacramento Comedy Spot
1050 20th Street #130, Sacramento 95811
Please read the information and eligibility requirements below before submitting your RSVP to the program.
RSVP FOR TRAINING
COMEDY SPOT INSTRUCTOR & COACH ELIGIBILITY
Requirements to Coach or Teach
To be eligible to coach or teach, candidates must meet the following requirements:
- Is a regular cast member, in good standing, on a Friday or Saturday show
- Performed on a Helix team for at least one full cycle
- Completed all Sacramento Comedy Spot core improv classes (Improv 101-301)
Before coaching or teaching, candidates must be familiar with the following:
- Comedy Spot Misconduct Policies
- Comedy Spot Performer Policies and Etiquette
- Comedy Spot Incident Report
- Helix Program Overview and Audition Information
- Helix Form
- Improv Coaches and Instructors Handbook
Prospective and current instructors and coaches must attend ongoing training sessions to stay current on policies and best practices, be up to date on curriculum changes and program goals, and practice giving notes and coaching students and performers.
Prospective instructors and coaches who attend training sessions can arrange to shadow current instructors and coaches by contacting Brian Crall: firstname.lastname@example.org
New instructors will teach Taste Test and coach Helix teams before teaching core classes.
Each training session will focus on different skills that will give individuals new skills needed to be considered for different coaching and instructor positions. Individuals should attend the training sessions they need to be considered for the positions below. However, participation in this training program does not guarantee a coaching or instructor position.
• Taste Test Instructors – In addition to being familiar with Comedy Spot policy, goals, and curriculum, Taste Test instructors will need to know a variety of warmups, exercises, and games; why they are taught, what skills they highlight, and the intricacies of each game.
• Helix Coaches – In addition to the skills needed to be a Taste Test Instructor, Helix coaches will need to know how to communicate and give feedback to performers, understand the intricacies of the form, be familiar with the goals of the program, and have an understanding of the Comedy Spot’s core curriculum.
• Instructors Teaching Our Core Curriculum – In addition to the skills needed to be a Helix coach, instructors teaching our core curriculum must show that they have mastered all of the elements of the class they are assigned to teach. Prospective core curriculum instructors will also need to shadow current instructors before they are assigned a class, and will also be supervised and receive feedback from one of their peers early on during their first assignments.
• Coaching – Anyone can coach another team or show at the Comedy Spot. We feel that this free program will help individuals that would like to coach. Individuals who participate in this program and continue to attend training will be featured on our Student Resources page to make it easier for students and groups to find coaches.
Our Main Theater Location
1050 20th St. #130
Sacramento, CA 95811
Comedy Spot Training Center
915 T Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
Text (for quickest reply) or call: